Co-founder and Co-chairman
Carolyn (Lyn) Turknett is co-founder of Turknett Leadership Group, an Atlanta-based consulting firm established in 1987. She served as President of the firm for twenty four years, and now serves as co-chairman and senior consultant. The focus of her work is character in leadership, cultural assessment and change, and executive team development..
Ms. Turknett’s consulting engagements have included leadership and executive team development, organization assessment and change, and individual feedback and coaching. She is particularly interested in helping teams at all levels improve effectiveness and working relationships, and in helping organizations maximize intellectual capital and create cultures that support innovation and initiative.
Ms. Turknett attended Mount Holyoke College and received her B.S. in Mathematics from the University of Georgia, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. She received her M.A. in Sociology, with special emphasis in organizational sociology, from the University of Georgia.
Current research interests include leadership and Constructive Developmental Theory and gender differences in leadership style. In presentations at national and local conferences and in publications, Ms. Turknett has addressed such topics as leadership character, succession planning, trends in executive development, executive coaching, executive onboarding, retention, organizational culture, women in leadership, and revitalization after downsizing.
Lyn, along with business and life partner Bob, recently published a book about their work together entitled, Decent People, Decent Company: How to Lead with Character at Work and in Life. The book is based on the Turknett Leadership Character Model™, a model that describes the kind of character all of us need to lead wherever we are. Since 2003 Turknett Leadership Group has sponsored an annual Leadership Character Awards program to honor leaders of character in the business, education and nonprofit sectors. In 2014 the Awards were presented in partnership with the Robert K. Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership.
Ms. Turknett is a member of numerous professional organizations, including the Academy of Management, the Society for Human Resource Management, and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. In 2012 she received the Linda K. Muir Award for Business and Law from the Georgia Women’s Institute. Ms. Turknett was selected as a recipient of the 2015 “Women Who Mean Business Award” by the Atlanta Business Chronicle’s program to honor Atlanta’s most influential business women who’ve made a difference in their communities, blazed a trail for others, and are leaving an incredible mark on business in Atlanta.
Lyn has been an active United Way supporter for over 20 years and was named the 2015 Woman of Purpose at United Way of Greater Atlanta’s Leading a Life of Purpose event. She has chaired the United Way in DeKalb campaign, and has served two terms on the United Way of Greater Atlanta Board of Directors. She has served as chair of the Community Investments Committee, and has served with her husband, Bob, as co-chair of the United Way Cole Society for Leadership Giving. Bob and Lyn have supported the Partnership Against Domestic Violence as well, and in 2011 served as honorary chairs for the Hearts with Hope Gala. Lyn is also an elder in the Presbyterian Church.
- Executive Team Development and Coaching
- Cultural Assessment and Change
- Organization Assessment
Representative Consulting Engagements
- Division of large telecommunications firm – Led project to assess the division—interviews and quantitative survey—designed and co-facilitated team development sessions with the senior team over several years
- Large telecommunications firm – Change management consulting to help guide broad process change. Conducted focus groups, interviews and observations that helped create a set of “Best Practices” based on successful implementations
- Large telecommunications firm – Front line supervisor development; focus groups and input into frontline program
- Business process outsourcer – Led cultural integration project between merging firms
- Air charter services firm – Led cultural assessment project: design, administration, feedback and action planning
- Air charter services firm – Executive team development; designed and co-facilitated team sessions, individual coaching with executive team members
- Large non profit – CEO succession project
- Large non profit merger – Executive team integration
- Pharmaceutical company – Leadership team development; team assessment and co-facilitation of team
- Large non profit – Executive team development; individual coaching with team members, design and co-facilitation of team development sessions over two years
- Healthcare System – Leadership Team Development and Individual Coaching with leadership team of four physicians and the administrator for operations and nursing.
- Global software firm – Organization assessment and intervention to decrease unproductive conflict and improve working relations among customer support departments
Contact Information for Turknett Leadership Group: