Robert (Bob) Turknett, Ph.D.
Co-founder and Co-chairman
Dr. Robert L. (Bob) Turknett is co-founder of Turknett Leadership Group (TLG), an Atlanta-based consulting firm established in 1987. He served as CEO of the firm for twenty four years, and now serves as co-chairman and senior consultant. Bob is a licensed psychologist, a trusted advisor to CEOs and boards, and a pioneer in CEO Coaching. He is often heard saying that he really loves coaching the top person because “it enables him to get his arms around the entire organization,” creating a high probability for real change. Bob has served as an executive coach to more than 1,000 executives in more than 100 companies.
Bob, along with business and life partner Lyn, recently published a book about their work together entitled, Decent People, Decent Company: How to Lead with Character at Work and in Life. The book is based on the Turknett Leadership Character Model™, a model that describes the kind of character all of us need to lead wherever we are. Bob (and Lyn) are currently working on another book with a neurologist, who just happens to be their son (Josh) on the neuroplasticity of the brain and its role in both learning and leadership.
Since 2003, TLG has sponsored an annual Leadership Character Awards program to honor leaders of character in the business, education and nonprofit sectors. In 2014, the Awards were presented in partnership with the Robert K. Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership. Also, since 2003, TLG has an ongoing monthly Women in Leadership breakfast with excellent, well-informed speakers, who are very inspiring and invigorating.
Prior to founding TLG, Bob was in private practice for 7 years, was a co-founder of the Georgia Psychological Health Network and was Chief Psychologist for both Kentucky and Georgia’s regional hospital systems. He received his undergraduate degree in business from Jacksonville University. Bob earned both his masters and doctorate in psychology from the University of Georgia, where he was inducted into the Phi Kappa Phi honorary society.
In 2006, Bob received the Leadership Entrepreneurial Award presented by Jacksonville University and was subsequently honored as a Distinguished Alumnus. In Spring 2009, he gave the university’s Commencement Address and also received an honorary PhD at that ceremony.
Bob has served on numerous committees and also the board of Atlanta Rotary. He has been a member of the American Psychological Association, the Georgia Psychological Association, the Academy of Management, the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, the American Management Association, the Society for Human Resource Management, and the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce.
Bob has been an active United Way volunteer and financial contributor (via Tocqueville Society) for over 15 years. He has served two terms as co-chair, with wife Lyn, of the Cole Society for Leadership Giving and has chaired Leadership Giving for United Way in DeKalb. Bob (and Lyn) have supported the Partnership Against Domestic Violence as well, and in 2011 served as honorary chairs for the Hearts with Hope Gala. Each year, Bob has devoted a portion of his time to pro-bono work with various organizations, including United Way, American Cancer Society, Georgia Psychological Association, Leadership DeKalb, and Shallowford Presbyterian Church.
- CEO consulting/coaching
- Developing senior executives and their teams
- Onboarding coaching for first year with new chief executives or senior leaders
- Turnaround coaching with valued leaders about to derail
- Management assessment to help companies validate their top choices for key positions.
REPRESENTATIVE CONSULTING ENGAGEMENTS
- Large telecommunications firm – Executive team development with president of 35,000 person unit and all direct reports; individual executive coaching with president, leadership team, and facilitation for team development.
- Advertising and publishing firm – CEO consulting and executive coaching with multiple team members for merger integration
- Banking and financial services firm – CEO consulting with president and executive coaching with team
- Air charter services firm – Cultural assessment/executive team development; individual coaching with president/team
- Large health-related nonprofit – CEO succession project, including working with board and senior team
- Large health-related nonprofit – CEO/senior team individual coaching and development; consulting on merger integration
- National fast-food restaurant – Executive team development; executive coaching with president and 50 top senior team members over 12 years – revenue from $200 million to $1 billion.
- Corporate aviation department – Key team and org development over ten years; executive coaching with the top leader and team
- Mechanical contractor firm – Executive team development; including individual coaching with president and team
- Large telecommunications firm – Executive coaching with presidents of multiple business units, and served as executive coach to hundreds of executives.
- Global pharmaceutical sales org – Executive coaching with president and sales executive; coaching and development team
- Paper and building products firm – Successful turnaround coaching with derailing executive
- Hospital and physician practice – Senior executive consulting with physician CEO – integrating physician practices with large hospital.
- University Healthcare System – Team Development; individual coaching with medical leadership team
- Large pharmaceutical firm – Executive coaching -CIO and team
- Plastics and chemicals firm – Onboarding coaching of new CEO, including board consulting to help insure success of new leader